The best Leadership Development activities put you in the position of being a leader or having to lead. Yet most traditional leadership programs focus on learning about leadership. You want your leaders to lead, not be experts on leadership. (There is a big difference.) Focus on learning experiences where your leaders practice being leaders in real and simulated environments.
You want leaders who are accountable. You want to choose learning opportunities that reinforce the leadership behaviors that lead to results. You want the tolerance for reasons to fade. You want leaders who refocus conversations away from reasons and back to how the team can produce results. You want leadership development that makes these choices clear to your leaders.
10 Steps for effective Leadership
Too much leadership training fails to deliver business results. The focus is on the wrong things. Leaders are to cause results and cause their team members to be leaders. Instead, leadership training uses Powerpoint slides which allow the trainer and the participants to avoid having to be leaders in the real world.
You want to link business results and business outcomes to your leadership sessions. You want your leaders to lead through experiences of building a new strategy together or collaborating to create a shared plan to close the gaps. You want your leadership development to improve business results AND increase the capacity of your leadership team to produce results in the future. Never forget that results are the point of leadership.
Build An Effective Team: By Developing Great Leaders
- Create a foundation for future leaders
- Practice leadership as a way of “being”
- Inspire loyalty, trust, and support
- Identify leadership skills in others
- Strengthen morale in the face of adversity
- Strategic problem solving
- Ideal conditions for leadership to thrive
- Learn how to generate creative solutions to challenges.
- Examine different points of view to create new solutions.
- Multiple perspectives offer multiple solutions.
- Essential elements of sourcing team-based decisions.
Measure Measure Measure
Unique Design for Your Leaders
- Avoid off-the-shelf. You want a proven framework that integrates your business results and challenges into the learning program for your leaders. Immersing leaders in the business challenges while learning leadership skills combines the skill with application. You want your skill development linked to leading. Otherwise, you end up with academic learning with no application back to your work environment. Leadership skills MUST be integrated into situations where leaders face choices and challenges. .
- You want a unique-to-you design for your business based on your leaders. Make sure any leadership program design links to leading through your actual business challenges, produces business results, and engages leaders to be the solution.